Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: Questions about benefit sale- I'm new!

  1. #21
    Inactive Member Mary Kate's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    83
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Last year I ended up with a bunch of bruises on my legs. It was so crowded that people kept banging things against me. Kit Girl's photos must have been taken when the crowds settle down in the afternoon. For morning times, think literal wall to wall bodies.

    People here generally don't bring their children until they are 5 or 6. I personally would worry about the safety of a younger child in that madhouse.

    And Jenny, you can take a chair and return it to your car 30 min before the sale.

    Mary Kate

  2. #22
    Inactive Member mandasmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 30th, 2003
    Posts
    326
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Laurie-for items that there don't seem to be huge amounts of, it's best to buy them right away-they probably won't be available on Sun. Also, I'm not sure if they lower the prices first thing on Sunday-maybe someone else can comment on that. Last year was the first time we went back for Sun. and we were there around 11:30, and the prices on some items were reduced. If you have an 8 hour drive, you might not want to stick around that late. If you wanted a GOT doll, and didn't have your heart set on a certain one, I'm sure you could pick one up for 40.00. They always have quite a few of those left.

    As far as limits, they usually are the same from year to year. 2 historicals, 1 LE and 6 dolls total, with twins counting as 2. 1 trunk per doll, 1 historical outfit, and I think 2 GOT outfits. They do pass out flyers in line, but it's usually not much changes from year to year. The flyer also usually shows the layout for the warehouse, so you can plan your attack.

    You mentioned Diana wants another horse-for sure look for one at the sale. They had quite a few last year.

    The sale is so much fun, and it's really exciting that so many members of the board will be able to enjoy it this year-I can't wait!!

  3. #23
    Inactive Member judiaci's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2003
    Posts
    2,354
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Should we wear a button or pin so we recognize each other?

  4. #24
    Inactive Member FelinaDoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2005
    Posts
    692
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Laurie - Mandasmom - Thanks for the info

    Actually it is my Mom, Me My Oldest who is 6 and my 2 Year old. From Your Description I know I don't even Want to Risk it.

    What our Plan is, Is to Have me Take Jessica - With me at 7:30 and then Have her go with Grandma again at 10:30.

    Thanks for the Offer of posible Babysitter, Little One is a little Freaky Around new people though so in teh Morning My Mom will sit with her at thte pool and then I will.

    Maybe we will see you there [img]redface.gif[/img] )

  5. #25
    Inactive Member FelinaDoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2005
    Posts
    692
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    We are Staying at the Madison West - Coming in on the 14th after traveling throughout the U.S.

  6. #26
    Inactive Member jlogemann17's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 6th, 2005
    Posts
    483
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Oh this is sounding like so much fun now! I was thinking I was a little crazy for buying a ticket to a sale, but now I'm thinking just the experience of being there will be worth the $12.

    I have a few more questions:

    Do you pay for everything at once at the end or do you pay as you go- buying dolls in one place, clothes in another etc? I've heard about the "bargain center" or something like that where stuff is really cheap. What do you do with the other stuff you want to buy when you go in there- or is it all connected and you just carry your trash bag with you? Why is stuff so cheap in the bargain area? Is it stuff that is damaged?

    People say there are lots of books- are there lots of historical doll books?

    And you say there is a limit of 2 historical dolls- can it be 2 of the same doll?

    Thanks
    Jo

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ June 07, 2005 08:34 PM: Message edited by: mykidsloveAG ]</font>

  7. #27
    Inactive Member mandasmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 30th, 2003
    Posts
    326
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ok, when you're ready to pay, there are several lines-they can get VERY long after the sale has been open an hour or two-and when it is your turn, a young girl that is volunteering will take you to a table where volunteers seperate your items according to price and then tally it all up. I always try to help them to keep the lines moving more quickly. Then you take your total sheet to the cashiers. There are seperate tables for people paying with cash/credit cards/checks. Then, if you've bought a lot of stuff, a volunteer puts your stuff in a shopping cart and you can leave it at the pick up area and drive your car down to pick it up. It is all extremely well run, and there are a million volunteers to help keep things running smoothly.

    The bargain center is one smaller room that has items $5.00 and under. Most of the items have flaws or are just a few pieces to a set, things like that. Last year they had AG horses-they had fairly significant damage (ears broken completely off, ect) but for 5.00, they weren't bad. They had Addy's table in there for 5.00, and they looked fine. You don't need a ticket to go in the discount room, and the line for there forms early.
    We didn't go in last year til Sun. so I don't know what would have been available early on Sat. Maybe someone on the board went in and can let us know.

    I know other board members have said that there were lots of books, but I didn't really think so, and we had early tickets last year. They did have books left, but not the historical ones, more of the pre-teen how to books.

    As for being able to buy two of the same historical, I don't think so, but I could be wrong. Again, maybe another board member could say for sure.

    I did want to mention that you do need to look over everything before you buy it, because things aren't marked that they are flawed, and some of the things aren't terribly obvious. You have to look. You can also ask the volunteers behind the tables, because they know their merchandise, and know what to look for, and are very happy to help you.

    All of this talk about the sale is getting me excited. It's making it hard to wait another month!

  8. #28
    ponydreamer
    Guest ponydreamer's Avatar

    Post

    Laurie...if Diana wants a horse...bring her over to my place! I can sell you guys a really nice pony. [img]graemlins/sure.gif[/img] hehe

    Okay...I'll bring a lawn chair. I'm going to see if my best friend will come with me. DD has to work that day...unless I can get her to switch her hours. We'll see.

    I don't really have anything in mind to buy! HA! I'm sure I'll find something, though. [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img] I would love to have some furniture for my future doll room.

  9. #29
    Inactive Member dolllover's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 4th, 2004
    Posts
    2,583
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Is anyone staying at the Marriott?

  10. #30
    Inactive Member rothsix's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 14th, 2004
    Posts
    57
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <<Anyone who has ever gone, please post any information you have. I'm so excited about going, and I want to know what to expect!
    Thanks!>>

    OK....here goes. First off, you cannot buy two of the SAME historical dolls. However, usually, you can trade with someone. I have done this with complete strangers in line with me! I will ask her to pay for my doll, and I will pay for hers, as long as it is not the same as the one that I have. Then, we trade when we leave the building.

    Outside in line, there will be posters up that detail what is included inside, along with some prices, and list the limits allowed, once inside.

    In the "bargain room"....there will often be small items which were "leftovers". ie. one year they had a bunch of the stars and moons which went on the trundle beds and armoires. I bought them for crafts. Later, our daughter's moon fell off of her bed, and I had a replacement even after AG was out of them!! :-) They also had all of the pieces of the Bitty's crib, but they were each separate. I think they sold each of them for 25 cents. I bought a bunch for a friend, and for like $1, we were able to put together the entire crib because I bought all of the right pieces. I just needed my own screws! [img]smile.gif[/img]

    The first year, I spend WAY too much time looking over the dolls! I wanted to be sure to get one. Unless you are looking for a LE doll which will sell out ASAP, bypass the dolls! GO straight to other areas which get picked over and look at the dolls last. There will ALWAYS be beautiful dolls from which you can chose, but many other things are picked over quickly. It is tempting to go straight to the dolls, as they are just inside the entrance. However, they are plentiful!!

    Gret

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •